HARAJUJU
Random Thoughts: Style Edition - Printable Version

+- HARAJUJU (http://harajuju.net)
+-- Forum: HA·RA·STYLE (/Forum-HARASTYLE)
+--- Forum: Style and Fashion (/Forum-Style-and-Fashion)
+--- Thread: Random Thoughts: Style Edition (/Topic-Random-Thoughts-Style-Edition)

RE: Random Thoughts: Style Edition - brad-t - April 2, 2012 09:40 PM

ahahahah

RE: Random Thoughts: Style Edition - Synthese - April 3, 2012 12:48 AM

great article

http://www.gamesradar.com/top-7-most-disturbing-things-about-pokemon-universe/
[Image: 01bce80623fc9a8be834a81cc085e5265c31e514...80_q85.jpg]

RE: Random Thoughts: Style Edition - Aish - April 3, 2012 10:38 AM

This is a great article, I was explaining Pokemon to my chemistry teacher and as I explained, I was like "wdf." She said it was practically like dog fighting except on the gameboy. I was like, HOLY SHIT. So many feelings with that game.

RE: Random Thoughts: Style Edition - Retromantique - April 3, 2012 10:40 AM

"In the television show, movies, and the game, humans are seen eating all sorts of different types of food, and while it's never explicitly stated that they're dining on Pokemeat, they sort of have to be. Need some proof? There are no other animals in the world. Not one. Anything that we'd consider to be an animal that we would eat – like a cow, or a fish – is just labeled a Pokemon, shoved into a ball, and forced to fight dragons while prepubescent children scream at them."

LOL. Thinking of picking up a Japanese pokémon game to practice my Japanese once I attack the kanjis.

RE: Random Thoughts: Style Edition - Aish - April 3, 2012 10:44 AM

You haven't played pokemon before ?! I have hundreds of hours on my save files and recently lost my Crystal save file due to internal save battery or something.

RE: Random Thoughts: Style Edition - Retromantique - April 3, 2012 10:49 AM

Who hasn't played Pokémon before.

QuoteLOL. Thinking of picking up a Japanese pokémon game to practice my Japanese once I attack the kanjis.

RE: Random Thoughts: Style Edition - Aish - April 3, 2012 10:51 AM

Ah, my English comprehension apparently sucks. Good luck, sounds like a great way to practice games.

RE: Random Thoughts: Style Edition - Retromantique - April 3, 2012 10:54 AM

Well, that's how I learned to speak English in an entirely French region, through video games. So it does work!

RE: Random Thoughts: Style Edition - immabutz - April 3, 2012 12:04 PM

(April 3, 2012 10:54 AM)Retromantique said: Well, that's how I learned to speak English in an entirely French region, through video games. So it does work!

I bought a Japanese copy of Chrono Cross for that same reason, although I realized after like 2 seconds of dialogue that it was way beyond my level... someday I want to go back and play it through though!

It did hammer home the fact that SOMETIMES ROBOTS SPEAK IN ALL KATAKANA, and it really is kind of jarring just like how all caps is lol.

RE: Random Thoughts: Style Edition - brad-t - April 3, 2012 12:16 PM

Dude, I played Chrono Cross in English and I had no fucking clue what was happening.

RE: Random Thoughts: Style Edition - Retromantique - April 3, 2012 12:21 PM

But Pokémon is mainly aimed at children; and it's one of the main games I played as a kid and therefore helped me learn English. If I could practice a second language with it, I could get it on with a third!

RE: Random Thoughts: Style Edition - brad-t - April 3, 2012 12:25 PM

At the very least, you'll be a katakana expert by the end haha

RE: Random Thoughts: Style Edition - Retromantique - April 3, 2012 12:31 PM

I find katakana to be harder to memorize than hiragana, so that's fine by me :P

RE: Random Thoughts: Style Edition - Rob - April 3, 2012 01:17 PM

I tried playing Final Fantasy Tactics in Japanese when I was like 16. Was tripping balls trying to understand how combat worked. Couldn't navigate a single menu either.

Pokemon is a good starting point but reading all-hiragana can be tricky since it's hard to know when words end. I'd suggest reading up a little on verb conjugations first (stuff like this or this). That will give you a better sense of what's going on in the sentence, and verbs are kind of the most important thing anyway.

RE: Random Thoughts: Style Edition - Retromantique - April 3, 2012 01:23 PM

Wait what, is then Pokémon really solely written in katakana?? I thought only the borrowed words and pokémon names would D:

RE: Random Thoughts: Style Edition - Rob - April 3, 2012 01:25 PM

All-hiragana I think, with pokemon names/loan words in katakana.

RE: Random Thoughts: Style Edition - Retromantique - April 3, 2012 01:27 PM

Oh wait, sorry I misread. So if it's all hiragana, it means there are really no kanjis at all in there?

As for the verbs, I already started studying those a little bit, but I haven't nailed it all yet. What I need is to broaden my vocabulary especially.

RE: Random Thoughts: Style Edition - Rob - April 3, 2012 01:31 PM

Basing this on what I remember from watching my gf play it, but I don't think there were any kanji.

RE: Random Thoughts: Style Edition - Retromantique - April 3, 2012 02:08 PM

Hun, well, that's good news for me! :D Thanks ♥
http://www.buffalorising.com/2012/04/fashion-maniac-the-far-east-bohemian.html

wtf am I looking at

RE: Random Thoughts: Style Edition - brad-t - April 3, 2012 02:26 PM

[Image: S2XNb.png]

perfect